Salicylic acid is your main aid to tackle acne and keep oily skin healthy. What treatments are there?
Surely, you have heard about salicylic acid and its huge potential in treating acne in particular. The truth is that this substance has been part of pharmaceutical formulas for many purposes for centuries, and one of them is oily skincare.
In this article, we are going to explain, in a simple way, what this active substance is and how it is used in dermatological health. We are also going to talk about mesoestetic®'s main salicylic acid-based products and treatments for aesthetic and medical purposes.
What is salicylic acid and what is it used for?
Salicylic acid is a molecule present in willow bark (in latin salix means willow) and in other plants. It has a variety of uses, but what interests us here are those related to treating acne. So, before going any further, we must briefly remember what acne is.
Acne is a chronic and very common inflammatory condition, which especially takes place in adolescence. Although there are many causes (excessive sebaceous secretion, blocked pilosebaceous unit, hormonal activity, bacterial reaction), all cases are usually related to oily skin. However, there are cases of acne in dry skin. It can also lead to various lesions (blackhheads, papules, pustules, nodules, cysts) and has varying degrees of severity.
Salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid known for its sebum-regulating and keratolytic properties, that is, it is able to dissolve the skin's stratum corneum. One of its main characteristics is that, thanks to its structure, it has a higher affinity to oil. This helps it easily penetrate the pore, acting on the triggers of acne.
The reason why salicylic acid is used for treating acne is its capacity to eliminate the keratinized cells of dead skin that block the drainage of the sebaceous gland via the skin pores.
Products and treatments with salicylic acid
This is why it is common to find on the market a wide range of products with salicylic acid to treat oily skin, as well as professional treatments that resort to it when acne becomes a problem. However, it is important to know how to choose the products and treatments designed by experts based on clinically proven parameters..
Two treatments stand out in mesoestetic®'s catalog:
- A specific solution is acnelan®, an intensive medical treatment for acne- and oily-prone skin based on the exclusive m.acne complex™ and on a three-session protocol in consultation with home care maintenance following the same principle.
- The chemical peel properties of salicylic acid are also exerted through the mesopeel® professional range of monosubstance products designed to exfoliate and renew the skin. It is available in three different concentrations:
- mesopeel® salicylic 10%: In its lowest concentration, it produces a very superficial peel that reduces the size of the pores and unifies the tone, making it suitable for several skin types.
- mesopeel® salicylic 20%: For superficial peels on oily skin; it is used in aesthetic treatments up to the basal layer (attenuating superficial scars, for example).
- mesopeel® salicylic 30%: Only available for medical treatments, it produces a mid-depth peel that is able to eliminate the epidermis, suitable for acneic and seborrhoeic skin.
Why suffer if you can avoid it?
Salicylic acid is a remedy for tackling acne through efficient home, aesthetic and medical treatments. You can find further information about the skin, acne and its manifestations here. In your fight against acne, you can count on mesoestetic®!
Would you like further information?
The aesthetic-medical treatments must be conducted and supervised by a professional doctor. Ask for an appointment at your closest center and receive a personalized diagnosis.